Monday, March 16, 2009

A what?

If a person who studies biology is a biologist and a person who studies chemistry is a chemist, what is a person who studies literature called? A literist, of course! Don't worry if you didn't know the answer; "literist" is actually a brand new word (I made it up a few weeks ago). I was in the process of writing a research paper about Marianne Moore, an American poet. I used the word literist thinking that it actually existed, only to be told by spell check, the dictionary, my dad, and my English teacher that no such word was a part of the English language. Oh well, it makes perfect sense to me! Maybe one day it will make it into our everyday vocabulary and then you will be able to say that you were among the first to know about it.

2 comments:

  1. You know that you can submit word's to Webster's Dictionary and a commitee discusses it and if they decide it is a needed word, they will add it? Pretty cool. Rush Limbaugh made up his own word, (one of many) feminnatzi (i believe that is how its spelled) and it was added. BTW it means a femanist woman who causes trouble.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jennifer: I love it. I totally support you making up words!

    ReplyDelete