Sunday, March 15, 2009

Sebastian

Have you ever seen something that made your heart hurt? I mean literally ache inside your chest? Maybe it is just me that experiences these feelings; I am an extremely sensitive person, perhaps too sensitive at times. Well I only saw him once, but Sebastian made my heart hurt.


I don't really know anything about him. I don't know where he is from. I don't know what his home situation was that left him to be cared for by the state and a foster family. I don't know how long he has been a victim of the heart-wrenching circumstances over which he has no control. I can't imagine how terrifying it must be for him to feel unwanted and all alone in a world that can be so dark and cold. All I know is the expression on his precious 4-year-old face and the tears that spilled out of his big brown eyes. The spaced-out baby teeth that showed when he finally got up enough courage to smile. All I know is that it isn't fair.

I've been so privileged to grow up in a safe and healthy environment with a loving family. I have two wonderfully supportive parents and two beautiful and talented sisters. I have received an Adventist education through all my years of school and I have had opportunities for travel and service that far exceed my age. But why me? Why not him?

Maybe I have been created with a sensitive heart for a reason. Maybe this is just one more experience to strengthen my already-strong desire to spend my life in service. I may not be able to make a difference for Sebastian, but could I for someone else?

No comments:

Post a Comment