Thursday, January 29, 2009

And the Father Cried

A few weeks ago our family received the tragically shocking news that a friend in England comitted suicide on New Year's Eve. She had suffered with an unpleasant illness for many years and decided that she just could not stand to live through another year of pain. As I tried to process and make sense of all of this, I kept thinking about God and how he must have cried as he watched Wendy end her own life. Oh how the Father must cry as he looks down from heaven and sees all the suffering, misery, pain, and death on our sin-sick planet. How he must long to say, "Enough!" and come to take us home. The poem below is a simple attempt to describe some much more complicated thoughts and feelings that I have been trying to sort through. It doesn't really rhyme- it's not supposed to. It isn't musical sounding to read or listen to- it's not supposed to be. There is nothing rhyming or musical sounding about the results of sin on this earth. I can't wait for heaven when the rhyme and music will be restored!

And the Father Cried

In a 48 room mansion with a 14 car garage
a man lived all alone after divorcing his new wife.
A second man lived all alone in downtown New Orleans
Katrina took his house and left him nowhere to reside.
And the Father cried.

In the waiting room of an abortion clinic sat a teenage girl
waiting for her turn to end a small unwanted life.
In the hospital a mother gasped; where'd the heartbeat gone?
She'd been waiting for this little one, and now, no life inside.
And the Father cried.

A husband and his wife had been married nineteen years
but now divorce was on the way because the love was gone.
A brand new bride had cancer; they were praying for more time
Day and night a brand new groom sat at her bedside.
And the Father cried.

A tiny premie baby was now fighting for his life.
The NICU tubes and moniters helped him in his fight.
A woman had decided that her life was just too hard
so she swallowed all her pills and comitted suicide.
And the Father cried.

I had a dream of heaven, it was wonderful to see
death and pain forever gone- joy for all eternity.
You and I were standing there right by the Father's side
He smiled and said, "I'm glad your here." I looked into His eyes
A tear of joy was trickling down... I think the Father cried.

No comments:

Post a Comment